Just Peachy ! (peach fro-yo)
Had your dinner. Got up from the table and resisted the slice of cheesecake or the decadent Indian ‘halwa’ that is being gobbled down by the family. Feeling oh-s0-proud because you managed to not give in to your cravings. Fast-forward 2 hours and your tastebuds are practically tingling for some sweetness. Your lips are quivering, you’re practically salivating at the thought of that chocolate bar you’ve hidden away from yourself.
“And I’ve been SO GOOD all day!” you groan …
Hands-up who identifies with me?
I find myself constantly battling my overtly sweet tooth and Lord knows (actually more accurately my personal trainer – Buffi knows) how difficult it was for me to cut out refined and processed sugar from my diet. It was a mammoth task but here I am today, satisfying my 32 sweet teeth with only natural sugars i.e. fruits and that too in carefully controlled proportions. I manage to curb my sugar intake to less than 20g a day and what’s more is ever since I cut back on all those candies and chocolates and cakes and bottled beverages, I’ve realised I’ve become even more sensitive to the sweet sense.
Fruits have this wonderful tarty sweetness without overwhelming and drowning your tastebuds in syrupy sweetness. So used to this am I that now a forkful of cheesecake is too much to bear! And that is where you want to be! Not for a moment am I saying, never allow yourself treats. But minimise them to once a week and allow your senses to revert to what evolution had developed them to appreciate – au naturel 🙂
In my struggle against sugar, I’ve had to come up with creative, healthy alternatives and this Peach Frozen Yoghurt hits the spot right where you want it to. At 22 calories a scoop and less than 1.2g of peach and lactose sugars, this is PERFECTION for a healthy snack or a dessert.
Just peachy 😉
You will need :
- 6-7 large peaches chopped into tiny pieces. Freeze overnight in resealable bags.
- 3/4 cup of low fat OR greek yoghurt (for lactose sensitivities use soy yoghurt instead)
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Toppings : crushed pistachios, cacao nibs and goji berries complement the peach flavour beautifully
To make :
- In a food processor, blitz together the frozen peach pieces, the yoghurt and the lemon juice. How long you blitz depends on the texture you’re hoping to obtain. I like mine to have small peach bites in each spoonful and so I don’t overly process my frozen yoghurt.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice and stash away the rest in the freezer to be served to those sweet cravings when they surface next 🙂
*** You can develop your own range of frozen yoghurt flavours swapping the peach for frozen berries, banana and even mango. Besides, summer is just around the corner so you have good reason to !
Caution : Experimental models have shown that this recipe is irresistible and subjects have been known to find it extremely difficult to refrain from devouring the jar’s worth 🙂