Life today is perpetually hectic which means having to resort to shortcuts especially when it comes to food-preparation. But that doesn’t mean you can’t eat healthy.
This week my experiments led me to combining two of my favourite items, guacamole and humous, into one luscious, delicious and super-easy spread. Oh and did I mention it’s also healthy ? 😉
WIN-WIN right ?!
Before I get to the recipe itself here are some benefits of chickpeas & avocados :
- Fiber Advantage and Weight Loss: Like other beans, Chickpeas, are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders.
- Protein : Chickpeas are a good source of protein.
- Manganese for important energy production and antioxidant defences
- Iron Boost: Garbanzos can boost your energy because of their high iron content.
- Stabilizing Blood Sugar and Low Glycaemic Index (GI): Soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels. If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, chickpeas can help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy.
- Heart Healthy: Regular intake of Chickpeas can lower LDL (bad) and total cholesterol. Chickpeas contain the significant amounts of folate and magnesium that strengthen the blood vessels.
- For Women: Garbanzo contain phytochemicals called saponins, which can act as antioxidants. It could lower the risk of breast cancer, protect against osteoporosis and minimizes hot flushes in post-menopausal women.
- Heart Health – Avocados contain the plant chemical beta-sitosterol which helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
- Healthy Eyes – The carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are also found in these fruit. Both have been shown to keep the eyes healthy as we age
- Blood Pressure – Avocados are free of sodium. They also have a nice amount of potassium, which may also help lower blood pressure. Studies have found that when avocados are eaten in place of other fats (like butter and mayo), they can help control blood pressure.
- Weight Loss – They are brimming with healthy fat, which takes the body longer to digest and help keep you full and satisfied (so you’re less likely to snack!). Further, avocados are nutrient-packed with over 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
You will require half a can of drained chickpeas and 1 avocado.
Throw in the chickpeas and with the scooped out avocado pieces into a food processor. Add in the juice of half a lemon, some chilli flakes (as per your spice tolerance) and a pinch of salt. BLITZ !
You will need to scrape the sides of the processor once or twice to ensure the avocado and chickpeas are blended together nicely into a creamy paste.
Serve on wholegrain brown toasted slices (pictured) for a DELICIOUS meal 🙂
This post is also available in: Arabic