A Blackberry Benefit
I find it important to know the value of the kind of nutrient I consume. This might be a trait of my OCD -Type A personality but nevertheless it definitely gives me a boost when I know that what I eat is indeed nutritious and wholesome.
It’s common knowledge that fruits, especially berries are choc-blocked with nutrients but I wanted to delve further into this one particular fruit that really is in my Top 5 favourites and which ironically has a namesake which provides a great deal of ease to my professional life.
So for those of you know who didn’t know, here is the Food Science behind Blackberries (no not the smartphone!). Who knew the benefits were numerous ?!
1) Mouth: Chewing leaves of blackberry is an ancient practice to get rid of bleeding gums.
2) Menstrual bleeding: Blackberry leaf also gives relief from excessive bleeding. Also blackberry fruit is used to regulate menses and considered a uterine tonic.
3) Dysentery: Boil some blackberry leaves or fruit. Strain and drink for treating diarrhoea or dysentery.
4) Acne: Blackberries have antioxidants which clear acne. Since blackberries are source of ellagic acid, it also protects from UV rays. Vitamin C in it helps to lessen the appearance of wrinkles.
5) Diabetes: Blackberries are high in potassium, that helps reduce insulin. Consume blackberries daily with one teaspoon of honey to control diabetes. Continue this for a week for good results. Leaves are also consumed for anti-diabetic properties.
6) Healthy Bones: Calcium in blackberry helps to strengthen bones.
7) Eczema: Eczema can be treated with strong tea of the leaves.
8) Red Blood Cells: Blackberries contain minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium that help in production of white and red blood cells.
9) Haemorrhoids: Blackberry pulp can heal haemorrhoids and even conjunctivitis.
10) Cancer: Blackberries have ellagic acid. Scientific research has found that ellagic acid can help in the prevention of certain cancer cells. (still a research that needs more sound evidence)