Louise Brown, born in July 1978 in England was the world’s first IVF baby. The term “in vitro” comes from the fact that the process of fertilization takes place in a laboratory petri dish rather than in the woman’s body.IVF is the process of fertilization outside the wife’s womb whereby eggs are retrieved from the ovaries and then met in a petri-dish in a laboratory by a sample of sperm which in turn has been extracted from the husband. With centers in Sharjah, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Conceive gynecology and Fertility Hospital is available to help couples throughout the UAE.
Under what circumstances do I need IVF treatment?
When a couple comes forth for infertility treatment, they are first thoroughly examined, assessed and evaluated in terms of their medical history and reproductive abilities. Accordingly they’re advised to opt for a treatment which will maximize their chances of a successful pregnancy.
Couples with the following conditions are considered for IVF treatment:
- Women with damaged or blocked Fallopian tubes
- Men with sperm with low motility and/or other disorders
- Unsuccessful Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
- Couple who have unexplained infertility
- Women who have Endometriosis
IVF Cycle: Understanding the IVF Treatment Process
An IVF cycle begins with Ovulation Induction from which eggs are collected and mixed with a sample of the husband’s sperms. The mixture of eggs and sperms is incubated in a suitable environment in the laboratory. The procedure of egg collection involves a small operation performed under light sedation. The operation is virtually painless and the patient can go home the same day. The eggs fertilize in the laboratory and divide over 2-3 days. The resulting embryos are then gently transplanted into the uterus by means of a small procedure. If the embryos implant into the lining of the womb, a pregnancy occurs.
Benefits of IVF Treatment Process
- IVF Treatment works where all other infertility treatments fails such as fertility medications, intrauterine insemination etc.
- By utilizing genetic screening (PGD), IVF Process increases your chances of having a healthy baby.
- Increased conception chances. With PGS, IVF has the maximum success rate compared to all other assisted reproductive options.
- IVF Treatment decreases miscarriage chances by using PGD to determine the genetic viability.
- Donated eggs and/or sperm can be used in the In-vitro fertilization process to increase chances of getting pregnant.
This post is also available in: Arabic